lunes, 11 de julio de 2011

FACUNDO CABRAL

Three days ago I did not know who Facundo Cabral was.  On Saturday morning I listened to my parents talking about his death.  I saw on television what happened to him.  At first I was very angry that things like this could happen in our country, then I was sad for this crime.  

After watching television I went to my computer and in google I tried  to find news about Facundo Cabral, what I found out made me even more sad.  I learned that he was a person who liked  to talk about peace, about the rights of the people and about the mistake of using violence.  He was a happy person and liked to write and talk about life.   I learned that he learned to write when he was nine year old,  his  family was very poor and he had to work very hard to become what he was at the end of his life.  He  was the youngest of three children, he was raised by his mother after his father deserted the family. He had to travel to Buenos Aires when he was still a child, he was arrested when he was still a kid a and he was locked up in a reformatory, he managed to escape and became a a  christian person thanks to a Jesuit priest.

He worked a series of  jobs, including street cleaning and farm laborer. He always liked the music and in his free time he learned how to play the guitar, he started singing in street and restaurants, and he liked to write his own lyrics, however, his outspoken lyrics,  caused  controversy. He moved to Mar the Plata where he got a job as a singer in a hotel but he was labeled a protest singer, when he was in his twenties , he was forced to leave Argentina  and seek exile in Mexico.

In 1966, the United Nations Department of Education, Science and Culture (UNESCO) declared him a "worldwide messenger of peace." Cabral overcame numerous obstacles in his climb toward international fame.

He remained a world citizen, however, performing in more than 150 countries. Returning to Argentina in 1984, Cabral performed a series of concerts in Buenos Aires' Luna Park that attracted as many as 6,000 people each night. Three years later, he performed at Buenos Aires' football stadium for an audience of more than 50,000 people. Cabral toured with Alberto Cortes in May 1994.

He met so many important people like Mother Teresa and Jorge Luis Borges. He performed in over 165 countries in eight different languages.

His wife and one year-old daughter were killed in a plane crash in 1978. He was nearly blind and crippled, and was a cancer survivor as well.

After reading about him I had to admire him.  I admire his vision of the world, I admire his determination to become a better person each day, he was an optimistic. He was a survivor,  I thing all of us are going to remember him as he was, a person who loved life.

I will try to follow his example, because he became a great man and at the beginning of his life he did not have any opportunities, he worked very hard to became  the person he was, he made mistakes but he learned from them. He had to face a lot of problems all of his life but he always wrote about the good thing in our world.  I thing he was a person who deserved to be called a worldwide messenger of peace. 
I am sad because he did not deserve to die the way he did, nobody deserves that,  I hope that they find the persons who did this and send them to jail. They do not deserve to be free after this crime.  Facundo Cabral deserves justice.

As I wrote at the beginning of this paragraph, three days ago I did not know who Facundo Cabral was, now he is a person that I admire.  I wish I had read his biography when he was alive.

1 comentario:

  1. Jean:

    What a nice reflection. This also would have been a good place to include some links to the articles that you read about him--whether they were in Spanish or in English.

    I think about the way you describe him, and he reminds me a little bit of Martin Luther King, Jr. Don't be afraid to make connections like that, too.

    Overall, nice work.

    Keep challenging yourself to write with more detail and sensory images.

    Best,
    Miss K

    ResponderEliminar